Back to news list
Children's Runet 2019: new research
Most often, children use the Internet for online games, watching videos, searching for educational content
Results of the second research "Children's Runet 2019", which forms a set of metrics for assessing the state and development trends of the children's Internet segment in Russia were published.
The study was conducted by the Internet Research Institute, the «Public Opinion» Foundation and Mediascope with the support of the Ministry of Digital Development, Communications and Mass Media, Kaspersky Lab and others.
Key findings of the study:
- 26 million people visit sites with children's content (+ 6.1% compared to 2018). There are 45 million consumers of children's content (+ 9.7%) on platforms, including social networks and video hosting. The total audience of Children's Runet is 59.3 million people (+ 12%), including children and parents from near and far abroad countries
- The most popular practices among children on the Internet according to parents: online games - 59% of children, watching videos - 53% of children, consumption of educational content - 42%
- Cartoons were most often viewed on the platforms of popular online cinemas of the Runet in 2019. The top ten leaders in terms of the number of views included "Masha and the Bear" (299 million views), "Luntik and his friends" (230.69 million), "Barboskins" (197.8 million).
- Youtube — the most popular website for watching children's video content. Video blogs (vlogs), animation and content related to popular online games prevail among YouTube channels popular with children.
- Television remains a popular entertainment among young audience. At the end of 2019, Karusel TV is the third most popular TV channels among the Russian population aged 4-44
- According to parents, the main threat to children on the Internet is pornography and erotic content. 14.9% of parents think so. The content about suicide and the so-called “death groups” are in second place among threats (10.8% of responses. Content includes cruelty and aggression is in third place (9.9%)
- 79.1% of parents of young Internet users answer that they look after what their children are doing on the Internet, 20% of parents do not follow their children’s actions on the Internet, and only about 1% find it difficult to answer the question
- 72.5% of parents consider the problem of protecting personal data of children to be urgent, 13.8% disagree with this, 8.6% can’t answer this question, and just over 5% don’t hear about the problem of protecting personal data at all